Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Another Week of New Adventures

Last week, I started a new assignment that has taken up a lot of my time. There is a program called Meltwater, which monitors when the Georgia Aquarium is mentioned in the media. I started an excel file with all these articles, so the Georgia Aquarium can track the number of times they are mentioned. I also print the articles out to keep on record.

I also helped with a media tour and swim for Frank Ski and guest. Frank Ski has a foundation to help kids in the local area. He brought a special high school guest to participate in our swim program "Journey with Gentle Giants". A camera man from 11 Alive came to film a segment about the foundation. I stayed with the camera man while he filmed Frank and his guest swimming with whale sharks.

On Wednesday, other girls in the PR/New Media department and I looked at possible intern candidates for the summer. More than 80 people applied. Viewing other people's resumes and cover letters definitely helped me with my own. There were a few applicants who had misspelled words- a big mistake! Other applicants had great cover letters that were tailored to the position they were applying for. Ashley, one of my bosses, did a great job of showing the other intern and I why cover letters and resumes were good or bad.

Friday, we had a special guest. I met Tony, one of the previous interns at the Aquarium. I had heard so much about him, so I was glad I finally got to meet him. He just got an internship in New York. Hopefully I will be up there with him soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment